NO ONE IS IMMUNE TO DOMESTIC VIOLENCE
Gender-based violence impacts the lives of countless women and their families across the United States. Women and girls of all ages, income levels, racial and ethnic communities, sexual orientations, and religious affiliations experience violence in the form of sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, trafficking and stalking.
10 Facts about Domestic Violence:
1. Only half of domestic violence incidents are reported to police.
2. 1 in 3 girls is a victim of physical, verbal, or emotional abuse in the United States.
3. 1 in 4 women will experience domestic violence and, on average, more than 3 women are murdered by their current or former partners in the United States every day.
4. 1 of every 4 homeless women is homeless because of violence committed against her and over 92% of homeless mothers have experienced severe physical and/or sexual abuse during their lifetime.
5. Victims of domestic violence lose about 8 million days of paid work per year because of the violence that they experienced.
6. Native Americans are victims of rape or sexual assault at 2.5 times the rate of other racial groups. In fact, more than 4 in 5 American Indian and Alaska Native women (84.3%) have experienced violence in their lifetime.
7. 45% of Black women experience physical violence by an intimate partner during their lifetimes, compared with 37.3% of all women.
8. Due to “zero-tolerance” nuisance ordinances, many landlords can evict domestic violence survivors because of the damage their abusers inflict in the apartments they lease. Women who have experienced recent or ongoing domestic violence are more likely to face eviction than other women.
9. Access to safe housing is even harder for some survivors. In a national survey, more than 60% of LGBTQIA sexual and domestic violence survivors said they were denied access to domestic violence shelters.
10. Approximately 1 in 3 Hispanic/Latinx women have experienced physical violence by an intimate partner in their lifetime
Your YWCA is here for survivors.
Our 24/7 Support Line remains 100% operational: 800-572-2782
Register for the Inspire Luncheon at https://ywcasv.liveimpact.org/li/9568/sevent/evt/home/169818/69.